Eligibility & Requisites
The Entrant can be an individual or a team. For an individual, his or her age should be under 35 by 31 December 2017. For teams, all members should be under 35 by 31 December 2017.
For architects, the age limit is under 40 by 31 December 2017.
For the student session, entrants should remain registered students in colleges or other educational institutions until 1 January 2017.
The entries must have actually been completed or produced and, in the case of commercial products, have become available in markets between 1 January 2015 and 31 October 2017.
Entries submitted for SDAY 2013 or 2015 are NOT accepted in the 2017 award.
Conceptual designs or designs that are still under development and/or have not yet been commercially launched, as well as show flats, prototypes, renderings and artists' impressions of designs are only eligible as entries for the student session.
All entrants must be natives of or have been living for at least 2 years in one of the UNESCO Creative Cities or Hong Kong.
The entries can only be submitted by the author or the nominator.
Each entrant can submit no more than 10 pieces of works. For series, there should be no more than 5 pieces for each serial.
Entries from all fields of design which contribute to the sustainable growth of cities are welcome to participate, including but not limited to:
A. Visual communication: Brand & identity, packaging design, publications, typography design, posters, illustrations, information visualization
B. Interactive media: Interactive design, UI design, UX design, Animation, Game & Software design, Motion pictures design
C. Product and industrial design: automobile, furniture, product design
D. Spatial design: Architectural design, landscape design, interior design, urban and public guiding system design
E. Fashion design: apparel, accessories, texture design, dyeing & knitting
F. Public service design and design thinking in public policy
All nominees must register online at www.szday.org before 10:00 AM (GMT), 31 December 2017 by finishing following steps (all materials must be in English):
Read and Agree to the Terms and Conditions
Log in using User Name and Password provided by the nominator (ONE User Name and ONE password for ONE entrant ONLY)
Fill out the registration form
Fill out the description form one by one for all entries
Upload a photo of the nominee
Upload a recommendation letter (PDF or JPG) signed by the nominator
Send the Actual Works to the Secretariat and ensure they arrive before 31 December 2017.Registration and Submission of Works
Terms and Conditions
Please read the Terms and Conditions of SDAY 2017 below carefully. By entering this competition, entrants declare that they agree to all these articles.
- All entries must meet moral and ethical standard accepted world-wide, and be in accordance with the theme, purposes, and regulations of this Award. The Secretariat reserves the right to refuse to accept entries which it considers do not meet these standards.
- The Entrant hereby acknowledges and warrants that the Entrant is the sole owner of the Design and owns all rights including but not limited to copyright, design rights and all other proprietary and intellectual property rights in or pertaining to the Design. Any infringement would result in immediate disqualification of the entrant and total withdrawal of his or her entries. SDPA should be indemnified against all actions, claims, loss, damages, costs and expense which it may incur or has incurred as a result of any infringement.
- The Entrant hereby represents and warrants that the Design is original and independently created and does not infringe, breach, prejudice or violate the property, interests or rights (including but not limited to contractual rights, user rights, copyright, design rights, patents and all other proprietary and intellectual property rights whether registered or otherwise) of any third party. The Entrant agrees to fully indemnify SDPA against all actions, claims, loss, damages, costs and expenses which it may incur or has incurred as a result of any breach of this representation or warranty. Should it prove in retrospect that a registered or even awarded entrant breaches third-party rights, SDPA reserves the right to disqualify the entrant and revoke the relevant award. The above liability provisions apply accordingly to all items supplied by SDPA in connection with the Entrant's participation in the Award.
- The Entrant hereby grants, on a gratuitous basis free of any fee, royalty or remuneration, to SDPA, the organizer of SDAY, the right or license to use, edit, amend, copy, reproduce or publish in any size the Design (which includes but is not limited to drawings, artworks, photographs, images, sketches, transparencies, sculptures, models, prototypes, and printed or digital materials) submitted for the Award or any part thereof in the promotional/exhibition materials or any publications in any media or medium related to the Award.
- The Jury will have the right to determine the number of winners; and the right not to name a winner for any of the awards. The Entrant agrees that the decisions of the Jury will be final. No appeal will be entertained.
- SDPA reserves the right to cancel, in part or in whole, postpone or bring forward the Award for any reason and is not obliged to reimburse entrants for any expenses related to such cancellation. While actual works can be returned upon requests with entrants covering all relevant costs, all submitted material(s) relating to the Award will not be returned.
- The Winner of the Award agrees that his/her winning design will be displayed in such exhibitions at the decision of SDPA for a period of minimum one year subsequent to the competition, and agrees to provide information as requested by SDPA about the winning design for future activities, including but not limited to reports, publicity, marketing and exhibitions.
- The Winner of the Award agrees to cooperate with SDPA to promote the Award and play active role in relevant promotional activities in the future upon request.
- The entrant agrees to obtain approval by SDPA beforehand on using the endorsement mark in printing.
- These terms and conditions shall be governed by the laws of the People’s Republic of China and local laws of the City of Shenzhen. Any claim or dispute must be determined exclusively by the courts in the City of Shenzhen.
- These terms and conditions are prepared in both English and Chinese languages. If there is any inconsistency between the English version and the Chinese version, the Chinese version shall prevail.
Personal Data Protection
All personal information submitted will solely be used for the Award purposes. The entrants preserve the rights regarding access to and correction of personal data provided for nomination.
Prevention of Bribery Ordinance
Entrants are reminded that it is an offense to offer any advantages (e.g. money, gift, etc.) to the organizer, an employee of the organizer, co-organizers or the Jurors as an inducement to or reward for favorable considerations.
Registration, nominations and entries submissions are free. However, entrants are responsible for all logistic and insurance costs.
31 December 2017
Deadline for Online Registrations and Submissions
Early January 2018
Awarding Presentation Ceremony